Marriage has taught me that two people can both very much enjoy muffins, but have a completely different point of view on them.
I love ALL muffins. I’m an experimenter, which means I’m constantly trying out new flavours and recipes (I think that’s obvious; I’m a food blogger after all!).
Jeremy loves banana chocolate chip muffins…. and that’s all.
Oh he’ll eat the other flavours I make. But it’s no love affair. The whole time he’s just wishing it was a banana chocolate chip muffin.
You know it’s love when 75% of the muffins I bake are banana chocolate chip.
Why It’s A Smart Choice
I’ll be frank about this recipe: it’s more of a weekend brunch type of thing than an everyday breakfast. I’m a huge proponent of making protein the focus of my morning meal. Just check out this post on the power protein can have on your whole day when you strategically choose a high protein breakfast.
But, as far as muffins go, this is a Smart Nutrition certified choice! It’s relatively low in sugar and is a source of fibre. When I serve these for breakfast for my family, I balance it out with Greek yogurt and some fresh fruit.
If you give this recipe a go, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, or snap a photo and tag it with #smartnutritionrecipes on Instagram! I’d love to see your creations! Knowing someone has enjoyed one of my recipes always makes my day brighter.Print
A muffin so moist and delicious you’ll forget it’s gluten free!
- 4 ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup ground flax seeds
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ½ tsp vanilla powder (or 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract)
- 1 ½ cups flaked oats
- 1 cup gluten free flour mix (that has xanthan gum in it)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mash the bananas.
- In a large bowl mix together the bananas, eggs, milk, brown sugar, flax seeds, oil, and vanilla.
- Add in the oats, flour mix, and baking powder.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop into a greased muffin tin.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle muffin comes out clean.
Share This Article