A hearty, soul-warming soup with chicken, cabbage, and a little bit of beet.
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 3 chicken breasts (with bone and skin OR boneless/skinless)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 12 whole black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- ⅓ cup Beef Better Than Bouillon (or other bouillon)
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 (798 ml) can diced tomatoes
- 4 litres water
- ⅓ cup dill pickle brine (or vinegar)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 4 potatoes, diced
- 1 head of cabbage, chopped into fine strips
- 1 small beet, peeled and diced
- 2 cups cooked navy beans (or 1-2 cans, drained and rinsed)
- 1 bunch of fresh dill, chopped
- Heat the oil in a stock pot over medium. Add the chicken breasts. Cook for 1-2 minutes until browned.
- Flip the chicken breasts over and cook another minute.
- Add the onion and sautee until golden.
- Add the celery, carrots, garlic, fennel seeds, and black peppercorns. Cook 1 more minute.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Heat to boiling then turn down to a simmer. Simmer until potatoes are cooked.
- Remove the bay leaves.
- Transfer the chicken breasts to a cutting board. Shred the chicken and remove the bones (if using bone-in chicken). Return shredded chicken to soup.
- Serving Size: 12