Please meet my new favourite condiment:
Why It’s A Smart Choice
Since Frank’s is entirely associated with wings in my mind I didn’t even think about it as a sauce I could use in my everyday cooking. One day, out of curiosity, I picked up a bottle and read the label. To my surprise the ingredient list was short and comprised of everyday foods. It’s basically a very flavourful salt! 2 tbsp of Frank’s has the same sodium as 1/2 tsp of salt. When I use Frank’s in my cooking I omit the salt and voila: instant taste and spice! I would encourage you to do the same: use it as an ingredient in the recipe instead of splashing it on at the table, which would only add extra sodium to an already salted dish.
For this recipe, I pulled together all the classic flavours of red hot wings into a healthy, balanced meal: chicken, Frank’s, carrots & celery, and bleu or mozza cheese.
If you give this recipe a go, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, or snap a photo and tag it with #smartnutritionrecipes on Instagram! I’d love to see your creations! Knowing someone has enjoyed one of my recipes always makes my day brighter.Print
- 1 lb ground chicken (or turkey)
- 1-2 small to medium onions, diced
- 6-8 cloves of garlic
- 1 large carrot, grated
- ½ tsp thyme
- ⅛ tsp white pepper
- 1 can (156 ml) tomato paste
- Fill the empty tomato paste can half full of water
- 1 tsp Chicken Better Than Bouillon
- ⅓ cup Franks Red Hot Sauce
- 1 (15 oz) can navy beans, drained and rinsed (or 1.5 cups cooked)
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- shredded mozzarella or blue cheese crumbles, for serving
- celery sticks, for serving
- Cook the quinoa according to your package’s instructions. I add 2 cups of water for each cup of quinoa I make. If you have a rice cooker, quinoa cooks up very nicely in that appliance!
- While the quinoa is cooking, saute the ground poultry and onions in a large frying pan over medium.
- Once the chicken is cooked through add the garlic, carrot, thyme, white pepper, tomato paste, water, bouillon, Franks Red Hot Sauce, and navy beans. Cook until heated.
- Once the quinoa is cooked, stir it into the frying pan.
- Serve with grated mozzarella or crumbled bleu cheese on top and sticks of celery on the side.
- Serving Size: 4
Share This Article