A well-balanced meal that’s perfect for those vegans or vegetarians concerned about their iron intake!
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 ½ tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp chili flakes
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 red or orange pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable bouillon (I like the Better Than Bouillon brand)
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 ½ cups black beans (or 1 can, drained and rinsed)
- 1 cup frozen corn kernals
- chopped cilantro (optional)
- shredded cheese (optional)
- In a dutch oven or large skillet, heat the canola oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion, oregano, cumin, chili flakes, and salt. Saute until the onions are soft.
- Add the bell pepper, garlic, chipotle pepper, and bouillon. Saute another minute.
- Add the salsa, quinoa, and water. Heat to boiling and then turn down to low to simmer until the quinoa is cooked.
- Add in the black beans and corn. Stir until heated through.
- Serve with cilantro and cheese (if desired).
- Serving Size: 4