A take on the Zuppa Toscana soup from The Olive Garden.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 2 links Italian sausage (12 oz), sliced
- ¼ tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp fennel
- 1 handful fresh basil (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 handful fresh oregano (or 1 tsp dried)
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium sized russet potatoes, diced
- 1 can (798 ml) diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp chicken bouillon (I like the Better Than Bouillon brand)
- 10 cups water
- 1 can (370 ml) evaporated milk
- Heat the oil over medium low in a large soup pot.
- Add the chopped onions. Saute until soft.
- Add the celery, carrot, kale, italian sausage, chili flakes, fennel, basil, oregano, and garlic.
- Cook until the italian sausage is no longer pink.
- Add the potatoes, tomatoes, bouillon, and water. Cook until the potatoes are soft.
- Add the milk and turn off the heat.
- Stir to mix in the milk.