Sometimes you don’t have much to say but you just want to post a recipe. I don’t know about you, but I usually just scroll down to the recipe anyway. So, I’ll save you some scrolling and just tell you….
Why It’s A Smart Choice
This soup is full of healthy fats. The coconut flakes and milk have medium chain fats that are preferentially used by the body for energy instead of storage, and may cause a slight, temporary increase in metabolism after consumption.
The hemp hearts contain omega 3 fatty acids, which are great for the immune system, skin, hair, and a healthy heart.
If you give this recipe a go, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, or snap a photo and tag it with #smartnutritionrecipes on Instagram! I’d love to see your creations! Knowing someone has enjoyed one of my recipes always makes my day brighter.Print
- 2 tablespoons butter or canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 (18 oz) can coconut milk
- 3 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- coconut flakes, for serving
- hemp hearts, for serving
- Melt the butter over medium low in a soup pot
- Saute the onions until translucent
- Add in the flour and curry powder and cook 1 minute
- Add in the broth, coconut milk, pumpkin puree, soy sauce, sugar.
- Blend until smooth in blender
- Return to stove and heat until boiling
- Allow to cool slightly and then pour into soup bowls
- Top with coconut flakes and hemp hearts just before serving
- This soup can be adapted to be gluten free. Omit the flour and whisk in 1 tablespoon of corn starch into the broth before adding to soup. Also, make sure your soy sauce and chicken broth are both gluten free.
Share This Article