Sesame and almond flavours dominate this Japanese inspired cabbage salad filled with plenty of veggies and healthy plant proteins and fats.
- 1 ½ cups almonds
- ½ cup sesame seeds
- 1 head cabbage, shredded
- 1 lb sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups edamame beans
- ½ to 1 bunch green onions, sliced
- 2 packages instant noodles (ramen)
- ½ cup sesame oil
- ½ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup almond butter
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup mirin (or 4 tbsp vinegar and 1 tbsp sugar)
- 2 packages of instant noodle seasonings
- Turn the oven on to broil. Place the almonds in a baking pan. Bake for ~4 minutes or until they become fragrant and start to brown. Watch them like a hawk! They burn quickly!
- Pour the almonds into a large bowl and place the sesame seeds on the baking tray. Bake for 2-3 minutes or until they start to turn a golden brown. Again: watch them like a hawk!
- Add the sesame seeds to the bowl along with the cabbage, mushrooms, edamame beans, green onions, and crushed instant noodles.
- Add all dressing ingredients to a blender. Start on low then turn up to medium and blend until smooth.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and stir to combine.
- This salad tastes best fresh! It’s still delicious the next day but after sitting a day in the fridge the noodles will turn soft.
- Add a sliced hard-boiled egg to top each person’s bowl to make this salad meal-worthy!