A simple skillet meal, this gluten free Mediterranean Lentils and Quinoa dish is humble but deliciously satisfying!
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- ¾ cup dry lentils
- 3 cups water
- 2 tbsp canola or olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp fennel seeds
- ½ package frozen spinach (or 150 g), defrosted
- ½ cup sundried (or oven roasted) tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (155 ml) can tomato paste (keep the can to measure out one can of water)
- shredded mozzarella for serving (optional)
- Combine the quinoa, lentils, and water in a pot. Heat over high heat until boiling then turn down to low to simmer. Don’t cover the pot or else it might boil over!
- Meanwhile, saute the oil and onion over medium low heat in a large skillet until soft.
- Then add the basil, oregano, salt, and fennel seeds. Cook one minute.
- Then add the spinach, sun dried tomatoes, and tomato paste. Fill the empty can of tomato paste with water and add to the skillet. Stir until combined.
- Once the quinoa and lentils are cooked, add to the skillet.
- Serve with shredded mozzarella (optional).
Keywords: mediterranean lentils