A hearty, fluffy bread with good-for-you fats and healthy bacteria.
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped
- ¼ cup hemp hearts/seeds
- ¼ cup ground flax seeds
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 – ¾ cup all purpose flour
- Add the water, oil, maple syrup, sourdough starter, salt, cinnamon, walnuts, and seeds to the bowl of a stand mixer. (That’s everything but the flours). Use the kneading hook to mix it all together.
- Add the whole wheat flour and mix again.
- Add 1 cup all purpose flour and mix. Keep adding little bits of flour until the dough starts to pull away from the bowl.
- Knead for 8 minutes.
- Grease a second bowl. Transfer the dough to greased bowl and flip the dough around so that all sides are greased.
- Cover and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled (about 3-12 hours depending on your starter).
- Form into a loaf and place in a loaf pan or onto a baking sheet. Cover and allow to rise in a warm place about 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bake about 25-30 minutes or until crust is slightly brown and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.