This sprouted bread recipe makes a naturally-leavened, low-gluten bread… with the nutritional boost of sprouted lentils and the superb flavour of garlic, rosemary, and thyme.
- Heat the olive oil, garlic, rosemary, and thyme in a small frying pan over medium heat until the garlic is fragrant. Avoid browning the garlic.
- Weigh the remaining ingredients into a stand mixer and add the olive oil mixture.
- Using a bread hook, mix until combined. If the dough is quite tacky, add a bit more flour until you can pick the dough up without it sticking too much to your hand.
- Lift the dough up and grease the bottom of the bowl. Return the dough to the bowl. Cover with a damp cloth and place in a warm spot. Allow to rise until 1 ½ times its original size. Depending on your starter this could take 3-12 hours.
- Grease a dutch oven. Shape the dough into a boule and place inside. Allow to rise until puffy. This will take 1-2 hours.
- Heat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slash the top of the boule 1-3 times.
- Place the dutch oven inside the oven with the lid on. Turn the heat down to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid of the dutch oven and bake for a further 20-30 minutes or until the top begins to turn a golden brown and the internal temperature reaches 205 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place on a cooling rack and slice when cooled.
This bread will be most successful using a mature sourdough starter. If your starter is less than a couple of weeks old, add 1/2 tsp instant yeast.