At first it sounds as though I’m doing something cool and fancy by making a CAKE for breakfast. But, for real, it’s just my lazy girl version of muffins! I’m all about making life easier in the kitchen! Muffin tins can be such a pain to wash. Muffins can sometimes also be a pain to get out of the tin. Using a 9×12 to bake your muffin batter solves both of these problems.
why it’s a smart choice
This recipe falls in line with my criteria for choosing a healthy granola bar/snack bar/muffin, etc:
- <8g sugar
- >4g protein
- a carb to fibre ratio less than 10:1
Protein and fibre play a critical role in making sure you can satisfy your body’s needs without getting hungry. If you can add more protein and fibre to your morning, you won’t feel the need to eat as much throughout the day! This is an important part of keeping food intake to the amount your body is actually going to use.
To learn more about powering your day with a strategically planned breakfast, download a FREE ebook I created here!
If you give this recipe a go, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, or snap a photo and tag it with #smartnutritionrecipes on Instagram! I’d love to see your creations! Knowing someone has enjoyed one of my recipes always makes my day brighter.Print
A super easy breakfast food you can grab-and-go!
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla (or ½ tsp vanilla powder)
- 2 cups oats (made into a flour with blender or food processor)
- 1 tbsp instant coffee
- ½ cup almond flour
- ¼ cup psyllium husk
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Pumpkin seeds for sprinkling on top (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, stir together pumpkin, sugar, eggs, oil, and vanilla.
- Make the oat flour by pulsing quick or regular cooking oats in a blender or food processor until you get a semi-fine powder.
- Dump in the oat flour, instant coffee, almond flour, psyllium, baking powder, and salt. Stir together (but don’t overstir).
- Fold in the greek yogurt and chocolate chips.
- Bake in parchment lined 9×12 for 23 minutes.
Share This Article