Keep these breakfast burritos in the freezer for a quick, filling, and nutritious breakfast! 20g of protein in each burrito!
When a baby is born everyone thinks of doting on the mother and the baby.. but what about the dad?
It’s the mom who’s checked in at the hospital so she gets the comfy bed and meal service. The dad gets a little fold out chair to sleep on (if he’s lucky).
The baby is closely monitored to make sure he or she is eating well.
But who’s making sure the dad gets something to eat?
The day before my latest niece was born I had made a batch of these burritos. When we went to visit them in the hospital I grabbed a couple of them for my brother-in-law. Apparently he was more famished than I realized because he was thrilled and delighted with them.
why it’s a smart choice
This meal hits all the major nutrients!
- Black beans provide protein, fibre, folate, iron, and potassium
- Cheese provides fat, protein, Vitamin A, and calcium
- Red peppers provide Vitamin C and A
- Onions provide prebiotic fibre and potassium
- Whole wheat tortillas provide carbs, fibre and B vitamins
- Eggs provide protein, iron, selenium, and B vitamins
If you make this recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, or snap a photo and tag it with #smartnutritionrecipes on Instagram! I’d love to see your creations!Print
Keep these breakfast burritos in the freezer for a quick, filling, and nutritious breakfast!
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 cup salsa *see note
- 8 slices cheese
- 8 whole grain wraps
- Heat the oil in a medium frying pan.
- Peel and dice the onion. Remove the core from the red pepper and dice.
- Saute the onion and red pepper until soft.
- Remove to a bowl.
- Place the eggs, salt, and milk in a blender. Turn on low then slowly up to high.
- Blend for 30 seconds. Pour eggs in pan and scrambled fry until cooked.
- Place 1/4 cup egg mixture, 3 tbsp red pepper mixture, 2 tbsp black beans, 2 tbsp salsa, and 1 slice of cheese in each of the 8 wraps.
- Fold burrito style.
- Wrap each burrito in aluminum foil (if you plan on reheating in oven) or plastic wrap (if you plan on reheating in microwave).
- Place in a plastic zip bag and freeze.
To make the burritos less “juicy” and drippy, strain some of the liquid from the salsa by placing it in a fine mesh colander. Then use the thickened salsa to fill the burritos.
Calories: 383 | Fat: 18g | Carbs: 37.5g | Fibre: 5.5g | Sugar: 4g | Protein: 20g
Share This Article