Tangy rhubarb meets crunchy sweet sunflower seed granola in this epic breakfast yogurt parfait! Ask and…
An incredibly moist banana bread whose sweetness is balanced by the tart addition of rhubarb.
I’ve discovered the best way to do recipe testing.
Get you guys to do the work for me!
Just kidding. But you lovely readers really helped me out with this recipe! I posted a pic of my first attempt at rhubarb banana bread on Instagram and had so many people ask me for the recipe. I knew the recipe needed work so I quickly made another loaf, which I thought was perfect. But I’m just one opinion. Then I sent the recipe to anyone who needed it asap to use up rhubarb sitting in their fridge.
A few people made it and got back to me right away with reviews such as….
“Mmm fresh banana rhubarb bread! @smartnutritionca never stop giving us recipes!”
“The banana rhubarb bread was unreal!! I’m copying the recipe into my personal cookbook right now!!”
I swear I didn’t add those extra exclamation marks in; those were legit in the review.
You can see from this photo why I needed to work on the recipe after the first attempt. On the left is the first loaf. While it was extremely tasty, it was an aesthetic flop. I was going for moist so I based it off Ricardo’s Ultra Moist Banana Bread but it was just far too moist and floppy. The poor thing had no chance of rising to success. It also needed MORE rhubarb. You can eat banana bread all year long; when it’s rhubarb season you gotta have the taste of rhubarb shine through!
The second loaf (photo on the right) was still very moist but it held together like a bread should and was the perfect balance of rhubarb to banana flavour.
why it’s a smart choice
I’m not going to pretend that this is an uber healthy breakfast option or anything. If I were to rank this recipe I would say it’s a healthier option for a dessert but more of a treat for breakfast.
Each slice will give you half a serving of fruit, which is pretty decent for a dessert! But if you’re enjoying this for breakfast, stick to one slice and fill up on a hard boiled egg and some more fruit on the side 🙂
If you make this recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, or snap a photo and tag it with #smartnutritionrecipes on Instagram! I’d love to see your creations!
rhubarb banana bread
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 ½ cups chopped rhubarb
- 3 medium sized over ripe bananas
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup sugar
- ½ cup plain yogurt or sour cream
- ½ cup softened butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease a loaf pan and line with a wide strip of parchment paper.
- Stir together the flour, baking powder, and baking soda in a large mixing bowl.
- Add in the chopped rhubarb.
- Make a well in the centre and set the bowl aside.
- Place the remaining ingredients in a blender. Start on low then turn up high. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the blended ingredients into the bowl and mix until just combined (don’t over stir!).
- Place pan on a baking sheet (to catch any drips!).
- Bake for about 60-65 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes then lift out of pan using the parchment paper like a sling. Allow to cool on a cooling rack before slicing.
Do you have more rhubarb than you know what to do with? Try these rhubarb breakfast parfaits too!
[share title=”Share This Article” facebook=”true” twitter=”true” google_plus=”true” linkedin=”true” pinterest=”true” reddit=”true” email=”true”]