I've made this a few times now. I was trying to figure out the perfect…
Feed your whole family for less than $5 with this hearty, delicious pasta bake!
If this were the 70s I’d happily call this a casserole, because let’s face it, that’s what this is. But I just can’t seem to call a recipe a casserole. It’s this weird hangup I have with the word. I’m just going to go and blame it on how I hated when the food on my plate mixed together when I was a kid so casseroles were the ultimate food to be feared.
Speaking of fear, don’t be afraid of this short list of ingredients! On the surface, it doesn’t look like this recipe could really amount to much but it’s shockingly delicious and satisfying. And let’s not forget about the price! This whole recipe costs less than $5! That’s right, you can feed your whole family for $5!
A note about the noodles: theoretically you could use any type of noodle and I’m sure it would be passable. But the shells are really where it’s at! They’re like little scoops that trap the beans and tomatoes so each bite is a perfectly balanced mix of all the ingredients. The only downside? It’s hard to find whole grain shells. Nutritionally, I prefer to buy the whole grain pastas but I’m making an exception for this recipe.
Why This Tomato Bean Pasta Bake is a Smart Choice
You’ll get a ratio of 2:1 for grain products to veggies in this dish. To balance this meal out more in the favour of the veggies, slice up some raw veggies or make a lettuce salad to serve on the side. Other than that, this meal is a great compromise of convenience and health.
If you make this recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, or snap a photo and tag it with #smartnutritionrecipes on Instagram! I’d love to see your creations!
tomato bean pasta bake
- 400-460 g 14-16 oz dry medium shells pasta
- 1 798 ml or 27 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 398 ml or 14 oz can baked beans
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 140 g 5 oz shredded cheddar or mozza cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Fill a large pot halfway with water. Boil and cook the shell pasta. Drain when cooked to al dente.
- In a 9×12 baking dish, stir together the tomatoes, baked beans, chili powder, oregano, and garlic powder.
- Stir in the cooked and drained noodles.
- Top with the shredded cheese.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Want more super easy family pleasers?
- Easy Tuna Casserole (only 5 minutes and 1 dish needed!)
- World’s Best Scrambled Eggs
- One Skillet or Instant Pot Dilly Chicken and Rice
[share title=”Share This Article” facebook=”true” twitter=”true” google_plus=”true” linkedin=”true” pinterest=”true” reddit=”true” email=”true”]